Dance Atlantic Perform at Chiefs Game

By Lauren Krogman and Rachelle Wagoner

On Oct. 27 over 30 students from Dance Atlantic performed at the half-time show during the Kansas City Chiefs game.  The participants traveled to Kansas City on Oct. 26 to take part in a weekend at Arrowhead Stadium.  It was an exciting experience for everyone because the Chiefs currently have a 7-0 record.

Beginning in September, the girls from Dance Atlantic began the process of learning the routine they performed at half-time.  The girls received a DVD of the routine that they needed to learn before the Chiefs cheerleaders arrived in Atlantic.  On Sept. 22, three Kansas City Chiefs cheerleaders came to Dance Atlantic to review the dance material.  During the practice they critiqued the routine as well as worked on  jumps, leaps and turns.  Commenting on the opportunity, Dance Atlantic instructor Ricci Spriggs said, “I think it was a valuable experience for my students to hear how much hard work is needed to progress, but the tremendous reward that can come with it if they always give their absolute best.”

The half-time routine was about four minutes long and will be performed with dance studios from around the country.  When they arrived on Saturday, the studios took part in a five hour run through in the Chiefs practice facility.  During this time, they went over the routine, got spots and learned ripples that took place.  On Sunday, they had a chance to watch the first quarter of the game, and were then escorted to get ready to perform.  The girls received an official Chiefs cheerleading uniform to wear for the performance.  They were also given a bag, poms, and a t-shirt for being a part of the game.

Dancing at an NFL game is a once in a lifetime experience for most people.  Before the anticipating weekend, senior Lisa Gearheart said, “I’m looking forward to dancing in Kansas City because I think it’s an experience of a lifetime, and I get to be with my best friends!”  An experience of a lifetime it was, and an experience that none of the participants will ever forget.