Choice Printing

Try Archery

Try+Archery

By Monica Brewer

With Archery, planning is an absolute must.  Safety is one of the more important aspects of the sport.  Archery coach Justin Williams is dedicating at least 2- 2 ½ hours to safety precautions.  Also, because of these safety precautions, he’s going to only handle 10 people/bows going at a time.

There are many rules when it comes to archery. For one, people can only shoot when they’re told.  They also set a time limit on how long you have to shoot the arrow from the bow.  Also, when the official signifies that time is almost up, they use flags or lights.  They don’t use sound generating devices because they could shoot the bow in the wrong direction.

(http://olympics.sporting99.com/london-2012/sports/archery-rules-and-regulations.html)

The meets for archery will be held on weekends in addition to four or five tournaments.  The students who excel within the Archery and NASP guidelines can go on to State, National, even World Competitions.  Williams hopes that once students get into Archery, the skills that they learn will stay with them.  When giving advice, Freshman Colin Peterson said that you need to practice in order to get better.

You can still sign up for Archery. Davidson encourages more girls to sign up and try Archery.  Williams says that  “My goal is to get more and more students involved with the club.” Rollins says that “it could be useful.  You never know.”

There is also another chance to get more involved with Archery.  If you own your own bow, you can contact the Atlantic Archers that shoot on Friday nights and get more practice with your own bow.

Even though they haven’t set up their first meet/ tournament,  you can check the Google Calendar on the site for official practice dates/meets and tournaments.  Anyone who’s interested who hasn’t signed up can check on the site too. (https://sites.google.com/a/atlanticiaschools.org/trojan-archery-club/)