AHS Choir Debut

By Reid Nichols and Casey Ihnen

On Monday, Oct. 7, the choir season kicked off at AHS with the Debut Choir Concert. Directed by Jennifer Gaesser choir members performed their concert choir music and show choir music for the Atlantic community.

The concert was held in the auditorium at 8:00 p.m. The Concert Choir, Chamber Choir, and Treble Singers all performed their concert choir songs.  Each choir also gave a sneak peak of its show choir season by singing a show choir song.  The choirs did not dance to their songs, however.

The choirs started preparing for the concert on Aug. 14. Gaesser said a week before the concert, “I think that we are 90% there. We never want to peek before the concert.” Gaesser was really excited to see how the choirs would perform. After the concert Gaesser commented, “I thought it went great, I was excited to see the amount of people in the audience.”

Gaesser has been really happy with the choirs and the students that she is working with this year. “We have a group of hard working kids.” said Gaesser. The choirs prepared for the concert with rehearsals and sectional work.

“I believe it was a good opening concert, but we still have some flaws.” said senior Logan Welter.

Junior Brecklyn Carey said, “I think theres still room for improvement, but we put on a good show.”

Junior Chandler Staley said his favorite part about choir concerts are “singing in front of people and being with my friends.” Gaesser said that the choirs lived up to her expectations.

The song Battle Hymn was the biggest hit of the night, according to Gaesser, who received e-mails from parents and other community members who came to support the three AHS choirs.  The crowd was asked to join in on the last chorus of the song.