Pink Out for a Cause

Pink Out for a Cause

By Mollee Welter

This Friday, the football boys will be doing more than just fighting for a win, they will also be fighting for a cause. It is the pink-out game for breast cancer awareness month. Cheerleaders have worked hard to design a pink out shirt that students and their families could have ordered to wear at the game. Junior cheerleader Allie Siggins said, “A lot of people got them this year. The design of them are different than they have been in the past and that’s why I think people like them.” Also last year the students of Atlantic released pink balloons at kickoff but this year the cheerleaders were not able to supply the crowd due to the cost of balloons. Junior Kate Fulk said, “I’m sad because it looked good last year and was for a good cause. I think it would be cool if students went out and did it themselves.” Every year the Trojans put on a pink out game in order to honor those who have passed, are battling, or those who have won the fight against breast cancer.

This tradition is going on its 3rd year for football. This year Trojans will be playing the Perry Bluejays who have the record of 1-5. Senior linemen Tyler Christensen said,”I feel like we are going to break out and show what we are capable of.” This year the boys can only wear a breast cancer sticker on their helmets, but in the past years they have worn pink gloves, shoe strings, and wristbands. Junior Specialist Collin Baker said, “The shoelaces, gloves, and wristbands are all extra flash. Our playing is supposed to attract the attention, not our gear.” This is the Atlantic Trojan’s last home game of the year.