Choice Printing

New Atlantic Cross Country Course

By: Justice Parker & Savannah Sorensen

After more than 20 years of being held at the Nishna Hills Golf Course, the Cross Country meet was moved to the Atlantic Golf and Country Club. Head Coach Paul Iekel said, “It is unknown if the meet will return to Nishna Hills or not.” The change is due to a new irrigation system being installed on the course because of the previous drought. Because of this, Nishna Hills asked Atlantic High School to find a new location for this year because they didn’t want the traffic on the course. Hall of Fame Coach, Bruce Henderson helped with the design of the course.

Coach Paul Iekel said, “It will be a really nice course for the runners to run on without having multiple loops. Spectators and parents should be able to see runners 3-4 times without too much effort. The biggest concern is the parking and how limited it is, with 27 teams coming.”

Sophomore David Thomsen said, “I feel that it will be easier than Nishna, but the competition will still be the same.” Senior Josiah Williams said, he likes it and that it’ll be a faster course and he thinks he’ll run better with the change. Sophomore Corgan Peterson said, “It will be interesting and I hope I don’t get lost.”

The Atlantic Cross Country team is very appreciative of the Atlantic Golf and Country Club for opening up their course to them. The meet will be held on Thursday, October 10th, starting with the junior high runners at 4:00 P.M. High school competition will begin at 4:30 P.M. If you plan on attending the meet, the start and finish of the course is just east of Palm Street. Come early because parking will be very limited!