I Spy With My Little Eye….A Teacher Observation?

by Isabel Kesterson and Emily Yager

Have you ever wondered what Principal Heather McKay and other Atlantic Community School District staff are doing when they enter your classroom? Do you get nervous? These teacher and classroom observations are called eWalk and Classroom Implementation Profile, also known as CIP.

eWalk is an in-depth observation that covers things such as teaching style, classroom climate, general classroom management, use of technology, and more.

The district uses a survey to evaluate the teachers. The observation generally lasts 3 to 5 minutes, but McKay said she “tends to get sucked into the classes.” McKay added, “If I’m wanting to get out of there, that’s not a good thing either.”

The second type of teacher observation is called CIP. To conduct this type of observation, teachers must have an eight-hour training period. The CIP observations take place quarterly and teachers are not notified of the time they will be observed.

History teacher Terry Hinzmann, who doesn’t mind being observed, said, “I think it’s important that teachers are observed to improve their teaching style. I think it’s important that others get in the classroom so that they know what’s going on.” Teachers are shown the general results of the compiled data, but they are not shown a specific classroom’s observation.

But do the students know what is going on? Freshman Deanna Roark said, “Record taking? I don’t know. Keeping track of how teachers teach or something?” After hearing a brief explanation, sophomore Chad Jones said that he felt that either way, the observers didn’t affect him.  Junior Zach Brooks said, “I feel like I get off task when they come into the room because I sit and stare at them. It just bothers me when they come into the room.”

These observations are meant to raise the level communication in classrooms. Also, it finds ways to improve or point out something positive in the class. McKay said she wants students to “keep business as normal. Don’t change and get nervous because I walk in the room. For the most part I’m just trying to be a fly on the wall.” In the future, there may be a way for students to put in their thoughts.