Students Voice Opinions on iO7S

By Cooper Zablocki

iOS 7, Apple Incorporation’s iPhone software update was released to iPhone users Sep. 18.  Apple held a conference where they introduced iOS 7, the iPhone 5S, and the iPhone 5C.  The update was released at noon central time, while AHS students were still in school.  The update included many cosmetic changes as well as new improvements.

iOS 7 drastically redesigned the Apple icons and added new animations as well.  Along with these changes Apple added a “control center” and iTunes Radio.  Students have mixed opinions on the update.  51 students answered a recent poll on AHSneedle.com asking whether students updated iOS 7. Of that 51 that answered, 25% said “Yes (I updated) and it was awesome!” 56% didn’t have an iPhones. 6% said “No but they plan on it.” 3 students said “Yes but they wish they hadn’t,” and 10% said “other.”

Why did some people decide not to update?  “I didn’t have enough storage on my phone because I took too many pictures of my dog,” said English teacher Elizabeth Huggins.  Many people actually had the same problem as Huggins did.  If your iPhone is filled with memory or is past the limit for the update then you’ll have to delete some of it in order to update. A few people still prefer the iOS 6.1.3 software that was released over six months ago.

Sophomore Meghan Reilly really likes the update except, “I got it the day I cracked my phone.”  Unfortunately, iOS 7 does not fix broken screens but its new camera app, multitasking, and notification center are notable features that have improved.

Clearly, the the Apple conference on Sept. 18, has affected a majority of AHS students.  Even for those who don’t have an iPhone, iOS 7 created quite the buzz around the school.

For more information about iOS7: http://www.apple.com/ios/