Breeze of Change – OPINION

OPINION By Lillie Zablocki

IMG_0907Our school was graced with the presence of Aaron Thomas on Thursday, Sept. 5.  Thomas began his hour presentation illustrating the blessings in his life.  He grew up in a two-parent household, excelled in athletics, and lived the so called “perfect life” as a child into young adulthood.  Thomas’s father, Ed Thomas, won National High School Football Coach of the Year.  However, the town Thomas grew up in, Parkersburg, Iowa, was hit with an F5 tornado.  Thirteen months after the tornado, Thomas’s father, was murdered by a former student and player.

After Thomas explained the past tragic events in his life, he showed a clip introducing us to his father.  This video was made when the Thomas family won and ESPY’s award.  The family was truly remarkable.  The care and kindness extended from each individual member cannot be ignored.  The legacy of compassion was started with the father’s passion.  He genuinely LOVED what he did every day, as a teacher and definitely as a coach.  He passed on this pure compassion to his sons.

After personally meeting Thomas, and visiting with him as an AHSneedle editor, I can attest to his honest passion and kindness.  For being sort of an Iowa “superstar,” conversation flowed easily.  He enjoys meeting people and most of all inspiring young people.

The past few years our school has had assemblies on avoiding drugs and alcohol, getting good grades, and staying out of trouble.  And while Thomas believes in these factors, he was a nice breeze of change blowing onto our students and teachers.  He wants students to radiate gratitude towards their home and community.  He believes all students should take pride in where they come from.

Secondly, Thomas would like high schoolers to realize their importance in a community.  Thomas could argue that high school students are the most important aspect of a community because they have the loudest voice and/or impact.  If you really think about it, the spotlight is on our youth.  The elementary students worship our high schoolers and mold their actions accordingly.  Thomas followed this point with his urge to get high schoolers involved in SOMETHING.  Because once a high school student is involved in any sort of activity, he said, they start to build a bond with others which generates compassion.  Thomas is a full supporter of high schoolers being integrated in their community.

Aaron Thomas has left a positive imprint on Atlantic students and teachers that can be felt radiating through the buildings.  The reactions to Thomas, his story, and his beliefs are nestled into every mind that sat in the gym.  I know this because during Thomas’s presentation there were around 800 people in the gym and not a single noise was heard except for Aaron Thomas’s voice.  That hasn’t happened in AHS for quite some time.  I can safely say our community needed to hear Aaron Thomas’s life perspective.

For more information on Thomas’s story and the Ed Thomas Foundation please visit:  http://www.edthomasfamilyfoundation.org/

Or if you would like to know more about my interview with Thomas please contact me via email: [email protected]