Atlantic roars to first wrestling wins

Junior wrestler Tyler Doll won both of his matches Thursday night.
Senior Tyler Johnson works toward a pin Thursday night at AHS's first wrestling meet of the season.
Junior Derek Stork is ready to take control against his Audubon opponent Thursday at the AHS gymnasium.

by Brandon Ballinger

The Atlantic Trojans came out on top with their first double-dual meet of the 2010-2011 wrestling season.

Atlantic started off wrestling Audubon. The Trojans started off fast, winning their first matches with a score of 63-9.  They maintained their momentum in their second matches against Griswold with a team score of 51-12.

Senior of Andrew Poore commented on his performance: “I felt good good going in to the first and second periods, but then in the third I started getting a little tired, and that’s something that I will have to work on through the year.”

Senior Tyler Johnson felt good about his matches. “I pinned both of my kids.  My second match I wrestled a kid from Griswold and through the first period nobody scored a single point, but in the second I had an escape and it was 1-0. He then took me down and I was losing 2-1.  We went into the third period 2-2. My conditioning helped me achieve a third-period victory.”

Junior Tyler Doll took some time to reflect on his first matches of the 2010-2011 wrestling season by writing a summary:

I was nervous for the first match of the season. I was the fourth match, I so had to warm up and imagine how my match was going to happen–my shots, my moves, my pins. Then I was up. I shook coach Hackman’s and Duff’s hands, checked in and put my leg band on.

I shook my opponent’s hand, then the match started.  For the first thirty seconds of the match we were both feeling each other out. He put up the tough-man act; I took a sloppy shot and almost took him down.  We both were on our feet again. He took a shot.   This time I scored off of it.

I was working to turn him over, but before I knew it, the first period was over. The ref flipped a two-sided red and green coin. The kid I was wrestling deferred, so I chose the down position.

The ref set up and blew his whistle and the match started again. I got an escape, and then we were both working for hand control. I took a shot and I took him down. He was starting to get tired, but I while I was working him, he had a burst of energy and got a reverse on me. He was working me since I was on bottom.  But then I got an escape and we were working for hand control again. Then the second period was over in a blink of an eye.

The third period started with my opponent on the bottom. I broke him down and started to work a half-Nelson on him.  He had a strong upper body but he was tired. I was not. I kept working him and broke his will.  I turned him to his back as he tried to break free. Before I knew it, the ref blew his whistle and the match was over. We went to the middle of the mat, shook each others’ hands, and the ref raised my hand since I was victor.

View Comments (1)