Tis’ the season…to miss school?

by Savannah Hoye

Atlantic, Iowa- Late in December students will be wondering about snow days. In the Atlantic High School, most students drive themselves to school, but what about the days that it’s too snowy to get through? Students who live out in the country have to make a hard trek to get to school. Sometimes it’s dangerous and they get worried whether they can really make it.

Junior Katie Blake says, “Every morning when there is snow on the ground my mother gets concerned and threatens that I wont be able to drive to school, then my father will have to take me.”

This can hinder after-school activities because parents will have to pick up students at a certain time.

Some students live far out of town and have to take gravel roads that may not be cleared. Junior Nora Walker says, “I take gravel roads and the highway to get to school, and if they are too strict then I might not be able to make it and I’ll miss classes because of it.”

The wrestlers have to be at school by 6:15 and if the school doesn’t call the radio for weather early enough, the wrestlers may already be at the school in dangerous conditions. Junior Robert Nichols said, “I’m worried about [the school] not calling late starts or no school early enough because I leave my house at 5:50 am for wrestling, so I could get in a wreck because they didn’t tell us early enough.”