Patty Hannon Scholarship awarded!

By Sierra Smith

Last Sunday, April 21st Atlantic High School hosted their annual Patty Hannon Concert.  Seniors Tiffany Braukman and Shelby Cooper were awarded the Patty Hannon Scholarships.  Braukman and Cooper will be receiving 500 dollars a year for four years from the Patty Hannon Trust.

Senior Tiffany Braukman comments, “I feel honored that I received the scholarship.”  She has been involved in numerous areas of the music department at AHS.  Braukman has also participated in Solo/Ensemble Contest consisting of way to many and solos and group pieces to count.

Patty Hannon was the only four year person to be a drum major, and during her Junior year of high school she was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. Even though she was very weak, her senior year she traveled with the band and led them during competitions. Later on that year Patty Hannon passed away.

In 1983, the first Patty Hannon scholarship was awarded.  Lloyd Hannon donated money to the band in order to give money to striving musicians.  To receive the scholarship, a student must first be an active member in band.  They then fill out an application explaining how they have been involved in the instrumental music department, where they are going to school, and also if they plan on making music a part of their life after high school.

When asked about the two recipients, Band director Jarrod O’Donnell claims, “Tiffany and Shelby are outstanding students.”  According to O’Donnell they have been involved in every aspect of the music department: Concert Band, Jazz Band, Marching Band, All-State, SWIBA Honor Band, and various outside honor bands.

O’Donnell also adds, “They are tremendous students which is matched only by the tremendous amount of talent they have. Both will be greatly missed this year, but they will do fine as music majors in college, and later on as music educators in their professional lives.”