What do you want to be when you grow up?

By Maren McNees

Do you think you know exactly what you want to be when you “grow up”? Think again! The only true way to find out if you want to actually pursue the job of your choice is to job shadow someone with that career. This way you can find out first hand all of the pros and cons to the job, so you can see if it is really worth all of your time and money spent on schooling.

On Wednesday I had the privilege to job shadow Jason Smith, a nurse anesthetist at Cass County Memorial Hospital (CCMH). It was fantastic to be in the operating room for five different surgeries. Each surgery taught me a new way to administer anesthesia to patients, which there are multiple ways to do. I had a great time getting to know the doctors and seeing what it was like to work in a busy operating room with nurses, and the hustle and bustle of surgery. I loved the fact that I sat for no longer than five minutes all day long. I am the type of person who needs to be moving constantly and always doing something, so this job was perfect for me!

Our school district School-to-Work contact is JoAnn Runyan. She will help students think of people to job shadow and help with arrangements if need be. I really feel like after this experience I know that the medical field is where I am destined to focus my studies.

If you are wanting an unforgettable experience (even though in anesthesia they try to make it as forgettable as possible) then I highly suggest that you shadow someone with your career interest! It only takes one call to see if you are taking the prerequisite high school classes to get you on the right track for the occupation of your choice!

Do it, you can thank me later!

anesthesia_limbo_patient_anesthesiologist_no_cap_spotlight
The nurse anesthetist preparing a patient for an operation.