AHS Earns Jostens National Yearbook Design Recognition

Atlantic High School’s yearbook, the Javelin, has been recognized for excellence and featured in the 2013 Gotcha Covered Look Book, Volume 11, celebrating the best-of-the-best in yearbook design and coverage, according to a press release from the Josten’s Yearbook Company.

2012 Javelin editor Paul Honke created the award-winning page that featured the Javelin Gold Sponsors. The page was selected as an example of an eye-catching design that featurs lots of students and gives the advertisers recognition as well.

Jostens Gotcha Covered Look Book is a collection of spreads and photos from outstanding yearbooks. Along with design excellence, the annually published Look Book honors the important role well-crafted yearbooks play in helping schools chronicle the experiences, stories and achievements most relevant to the students and that academic year.

The Javelin is created under the direction of Allison Berryhill, Atlantic High school yearbook adviser.  In addition to Honke, the 2012 editors included Brandon Ballinger, Katelyn Blake, Liz Davidson, Zoe Krueger, Anthony Robinson, Olivia Petersen and Malachi Wickman. The 2011-12 book also earned the Iowa High School Press Association’s Award of Distinguished Merit earlier this year.

Adviser Allison Berryhill said, “It is exciting to see our book recognized on national level.” She said Honke had worked diligently to create a page that was both appealing to students and pleasing to the sponsors who support the journalism department.

According to Jostens, The 2012 Javelin was one of only 425 yearbooks selected from approximately 3,000. The 2013 panel of judges, comprised of nationally recognized scholastic journalism professionals and award-winning yearbook advisers, selected the best examples of yearbook spreads and covers to make up the 352-page 2013 Look Book.

The Jostens Gotcha Covered Look Book is a resource for advisers and staffs seeking creative design and coverage ideas, trends and inspiration.

AHS journalist Kelsey Hamilton displays the 2012 Javelin spread featured in Jostens Look Book. Para-educator Gina Honke is holding the Look Book. The Javelin spread is on the lower left page. Honke’s son Paul Honke, a freshman at Iowa Central Community College, created the award-winning page

Berryhill and her yearbook staff received a copy of the Jostens 2013 Gotcha Covered Look Book. They will also receive a plaque from Jostens to recognize the achievement.