Trewet to perform at IHSSA All-State Festival

By Kristin Johnk

On Monday, March 25, Caroline Trewet will be performing at the Iowa High School Speech Association (IHSSA) All-State Festival at the University of Northern Iowa.

This will be Trewet’s 4th time performing at the All-State festival. “I’m pretty excited, finishing out my senior year strong. Go team!” She is the first 4-time All-State participant from AHS. She was also the first freshman and the first dual-event participant for the festival.

This year, she made it to the festival with her storytelling piece called “I Want My Hat Back.” It is about a bear who can’t find his hat. He doesn’t know if he misplaced it or if it was stolen. He later finds out it was stolen by a rabbit.

There is a two step process to making All-State. The first step is the district tournament. You get judged by one judge and you get one ranking. The next step is at the state level tournament where you get judged by three judges. You have to get three 1 rankings and two recommendations to be considered for the festival. If you get selected, you perform at the All-State festival, but you don’t get a ranking.

Trewet has made it to the festival all 4 years of high school: freshman year- storytelling; sophomore year- oratory; junior year- acting and storytelling; senior year- storytelling. She said that her favorite performance has been her storytelling piece from this year.

Trewet’s performance time is at 10 a.m. on March 25 in Expansion A of Maucker Union on the UNI campus.