Sam Hayes crowned Mr. AHS 2013

By Lisa Gearheart and Alexi Allen

Contestants gather to congratulate Sam Hayes, Mr. AHS 2013. Hayes won a prize of Chamber Bucks and will have his picture in the trophy case for the coming year.
On Friday, March 1, Atlantic High School hosted the first annual Mr. AHS contest at an assembly in the gym. Mr. AHS is a competition in which senior boys are escorted by a person of their choice and display their own personal talent. Contestants also competed in a “best legs” contest. There was also an award for “Mr. Congeniality.”
The competition was sponsored by AHS Student Council as a way to spice up TWIRP week. Senior boys were invited to nominate themselves as representatives for sports and activities.
Contestants included Chad Christensen (baseball), Jared Fulk (basketball), Sam Hayes (band), Harrison Hoegh (football), Brett Keegan (journalism), Jordan Mauk (wrestling), Blake Meneely (tennis), Ben Nelson (golf), Austin Petty (FFA) and Seth Rhode (soccer).
The participants were required to fill out an application stating why they were interested in becoming Mr. AHS, explaining their favorite hobbies and including a favorite quote. “I was interested in becoming Mr. AHS because I think I would be good at representing the tennis team,” said contestant Blake Meneely.
Each contestant chose someone to escort them while they were being introduced. They could pick a boy or girl from any grade. “I chose Mackenzie Holmes as my escort because she seems like someone who would take Mr. AHS more seriously than others,” said Brett Keegan. Escorts stood behind their contestant until the talents began.
The talents ranged from golf-ball bouncing (Nelson) to hula-hooping (Mauk) and ribbon dancing (Hoegh). Christensen sang a duet with his escort Dalton Franken, and Sam Hayes played his electric guitar. Keegan performed snake charming, and Meneely juggled tennis balls. Rohde wrestled Sasquatch (Stuart Hoegh). and Petty built a bird house.
After each talent was performed, the winners of various awards were announced. The winner of the “best legs” contest was Brett Keegan, representing the journalism department. The winner of the “Mr. Congeniality” award was Ben Nelson, representing golf. The winner of the first annual Mr. AHS competition was Sam Hayes, representing band. “Make sure you have a good time in the Mr. AHS competition,” said Sam Hayes to future Mr. AHS contestants, “and have a good senior year!”