Harlan’s AD speaks out on sportsmanship

By: Emily Mitchell

Sportsmanship is something schools and conferences strive for and take pride in. But have you ever wondered what other schools’ consider sportsmanlike and unsportsmanlike? The AHS Needle has an inside view of what’s considered sportsmanship from our rival of Harlan.

A recent e-mail was sent to Athletic Director Mitchell Osborn to discuss how he would react to certain situations that have happened here at AHS. Osborn responded by stating, “First of all I would support Mr. Rasmussen and the Atlantic administration as I think they are outstanding. Mr. Rasmussen is well respected statewide and Atlantic High School is very lucky to have him as he has a passion for AHS and the student body. He continues by saying that any athletic director wants the student section to “support their team and cheer along with the cheerleaders.”

The following questions were asked:
1.Our student section brought newspapers to the game and hen the other team’s line-up was announced, we all sat down and started reading the papers. An administrator immediately came over, took a few of the papers, and told the rest of us to put ours away. Our AD told us that was bad sportsmanship. What’s your opinion and how would you have reacted to the situation?

Osborn said, “We do not allow student section to do this either. I would have done the exact same thing as Mr. Rasmussen did.

2. When the opponents’ coach stood up, our students yelled “sit down (coach’s name)” to their coach until they sat down. We were not addressed at the game, but it was mentioned to us during the interview that doing this was also unsportsmanlike. What’s your opinion and how would you react to a similar situation?

Osborn responded by saying, “Your question #2 is right that it is not the best sportsmanship but as a basketball coach I find it humorous and really not hurtful as the Atlantic fans and student body have chanted to me SIT DOWN MITCH. I almost take it as a compliment that they want to beat us with the rivalry and a clever chant. Now if it is directed to a student athlete then completely out of line. This one is on the border but does not offend me when it happens or make me mad.”

3. A student of ours decided to go stand with the other student section. Our AD didn’t say anything but their AD asked him to leave their section. When a student of theirs tried to come over to our side, we started yelling at the girl and she immediately turned around and went back to her side. Nothing was said by any administrators of ours and no one asked our AD what he thought about it. What’s your thoughts and how would you have reacted?

Osborn said, “Absolutely do not allow our students to go to their student body section or vice a versa. Now I do not know everyone so it can happen. If they want to visit with a friend from another school they can do it at halftime or after the game. This is preventive maintenance to help prevent something from happening. One of your friends might think you are cheering for the other team or some other students can target you in their stands. DO NOT GO TO THE OTHER teams student body section.”

4. A few years ago, our student section was in a spirit war with the visitors student section. This consisted of both sections yelling “we got spirit yes we do, we got spirit how bout you?” back and forth. During the end of this war, a student yelled “9, 10, 11, 12, we got spirit, ask your mom.” He was immediately kicked out of the game and was also banned for an additional 3 games. This was mentioned during our interview and the response from our AD was that it was unsportsmanlike. What’s your thoughts and how would you have reacted?

Osborn responded by saying, “I think it is unsportsmanlike as people can have some very disturbed thoughts and saying that does not have good overtone and I think it is very offensive. I would support Mr. Rasmussen. Sometimes students have already been warned so when they do cross the line there are consequences. I suspended 3 students from the last 2 home football games this fall so it happens.”

He suggest things for the students to chant or yell like, “cyclone power,” or “defense!” The one thing he tells his students is, “if that was your sister or brother out there would you want the other student body to target them?” He says the answer is “always no!”

Sportsmanship: conduct (as fairness, respect for one’s opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport. Sportsmanship is something schools and conferences strive for to make activities a positive and friendly environment. Stay classy Atlantic High.