AHS holds Military assembly

home-dogtag-pic

By Kelsey Hamilton

Atlantic High school  held an assembly on Tuesday, Feb. 19. “Remembering the Fallen” is a traveling exhibit to honor those in the military killed during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

The assembly began with the presenting of the colors by community veterans. Bill & Evonne Williams, the program’s founders explained how the program came to be. This was followed by a slide show of soldiers’ families experiencing the display. The final portion of the program was a roll call of the names of Iowans who sacrificed their lives in the war.

After the assembly, History teacher Terry Hinzmann was asked about his reaction towards the assembly and he feels that the message they were trying to get out to the kids is understanding there is a price to be paid to get the freedom we have today.  Hinzmann was also very happy to see some of the community show up at the High School for the assembly.

Tony Wiley, who is also a history teacher said he felt the students were tested, and they showed their respect well. When asked about the war Wiley said, “We need to understand that the freedoms we enjoy here are because of the sacrifices of others.” He also mentioned that he hopes the students took in the message.

The student body reaction can be summed up by Junior Nathan Sandbothe, “It was a good way to present the troops”

If you would like to know more about the “Remembering Our Fallen” Exhibit please visit: http://rememberingourfallen.org/index.html