New rules considered for Winter Formal

by Paul Honke

New rules are under consideration for the Winter Formal dance, Dec. 11.  The possibility of changes in dress code and dance behavior rules has stirred plenty of controversy.

According to Principal Heather McKay, Atlantic High School is currently discussing two new rules for the annual Winter Formal Dance. One of the new rules would ban back-to-face dancing or “grinding,” as people have called the dance.   New guidelines for the dress code at the dance are also under consideration.

McKay said, “We’re talking about dance behavior.  The only thing we’ve specifically talked about is back-to-front dancing.”

According to McKay, students approached her after the homecoming dance to express how uncomfortable they were.  One parent came in to discuss the issue, and another parent on a committee with McKay shared concerns.

Some students are not in favor of changing dance behavior guidelines.  Junior Austin Conrad said, “The ban is stupid because only a few people were complaining about the dance in the first place.” Other students are not worried about the ban. Cole Lowary said, “It won’t last long because people have been talking to McKay about what would happen and she might change her mind.”

“I’m keeping an open mind,” said McKay.  “I want to make sure we hear people. I appreciate how students have approached me and talked to me in a mature manner about it.”

Some students said that banning back-to-face dancing would not solve the issue of inappropriate contact. “Because students can’t grind back-to-face, people will dance face-to-face and that will be even more inappropriate,” said senior Hilary Sorensen.

Junior Rob Nichols is in favor of the ban on “grinding.”  Nichols said, “It is a little uncomfortable and it’s a pointless dance.”

The other rule being considered for Winter Formal is to enforce a formal attire dress code.  “It was a student concern that was brought to the Student Council,” said McKay.  Under the proposed changes, students could wear black or khaki pants or a shirt and a tie for guys. For girls it will be a dress or slacks and a shirt. Polo shirts, blue jeans, and sweat pants would not be allowed.

“I am very happy about this (proposed) rule,” says junior Student Council member Ian McNees. “I hate it when people come in with sweat pants. There is a reason why the word ‘formal’ is in the name.”

Other students wonder why dress code is an issue at all. “It’s a little pointless and people are overreacting about what we wear,” says  junior Aaron Buboltz.

The Student Council, which plans the dance, will vote on the dress-code at their meeting next week.  Guidelines for styles of dance are under the administration’s consideration.

–Read related OPINION article

SLIDESHOW of Homecoming Dance