Lawuna Dashua AHS Nigerian Transfer Student

by Mikayla Somers

Atlantic High School’s 2012-13 foreign exchange student is Lawuna Dashua, from Nigeria. He is living with AHS sophomore Reid Nichols and his family, in Rob’s (AHS ‘12) old room. He arrived around August 12, and will be staying in Atlantic until early June.

In order to be accepted as a transfer student, Dashua had to take three exams, one of which was written, and had to be interviewed. He came to the United States with a group of students who would study in different areas of the country; Debora Lwilla is also a transfer student at AHS this year. The Nichols family had to fill out some paperwork in order to host a transfer student in their home. The Nichols were able to fill out what they would have liked in the student, such as a christian, male.

Senior Lawuna Dashua sitting behind Senior Josh Schorle during Mr. Wiley’s seventh period government class.

Dashua has participated in football, band, and is planning on do soccer as well. He said his favorite class in school is American Government. Dashua admitted to his dislike of the cold weather in Atlantic. The average temperature in Nigeria is 26.4 °C (80 °F). “I miss the food,” he said, but enjoyed Thanksgiving. When asked how America and Nigeria differ from one another the most he said, “the social life.”

Sierra Smith, AHS junior, has Advanced Chemistry with Dashua. She hasn’t known any other foreign exchange students before. She said, “He’s quiet and does his work. I’m pretty sure he gets an A in everything.” Nancy Jenkins, AHS Chemistry teacher, has taught around 10 transfer students before. Jenkins said, “A majority of the time the students have been really good students. Very few times have I had a poor student. Lawuna catches on very, very, quickly,” and, “has worked extremely well with Michael, his lab partner.” AHS band teacher, Jarrod O’Donnell also praised Dashua saying he “caught on to playing drums really quickly.”