Polar Bears: Winter Running

By Liz Siggins

Polar Bears is a fun way for athletes who aren’t in a winter sport to stay active during the winter season.  Students can sign up with a partner on the board by the locker rooms.  Pay $3 to Mr. Iekel to help with the cost of prizes and the t shirts.  To participate in polar bears you can run, do a set of weights for a mile, or do aerobic activities for fifteen minutes to count as a mile.  You can sign up and keep track of your mileage on runkeeper.com and look at how many miles other people have.  The theme for the polar bears is “Tour De Hawkeye-10” because when you and your partner have enough miles to get to the next Hawkeye ten school you can get a prize.  The organized running days are Mondays and Thursdays.  If you and your partner finish the “Tour De Hawkeye-10” you will get a polar bears t-shirt.

Mr. Iekel said there has already been fourteen people who have signed up for polar bears on the board.  He said you don’t have to go to the organized runs, they are just in case people want to run together as a group.  He also said it gives people a reason to do things with their teammates.  He said “The goal is to get active.”

Mr.Woods is going to participate in polar bears with Mr.Vargason as his partner.  He said athletes will benefit from polar bears because they will be prepared for the next season.  He said he is doing polar bears to be in better shape and be more healthy.

Junior Corey Whitt said he signed up so he could get in shape for track season. Junior Logan Hemphill said he is doing polar bears so he can stay in shape in the off season.  He said “I like polar bears because some people don’t have a sport that season so they can do something.”

Freshman Will Weppler said “I signed up because I thought it would be a fun way to get exercise.”  Weppler said he thinks its a good way for friends to get together and do some physical activity.  He and his partner will be running together in the free time they have. Polar bears is a great way for people to get active with their friends during the winter season.