ACT? SAT? COMPASS? What are these? – OPINION

By Kristin Johnk – OPINION

As upperclassmen begin to plan for their future, tests scores become important for admission to college. Nearly every college or university in the United States use some kind of test scores as a common way for evaluating a student’s college readiness. Many schools use ACT or SAT test scores for admission comparison, but what are the tests?

The ACT is an achievement test, measuring what a student has learned in school. The SAT is the standardized assessment of critical reading, mathematical reasoning, and writing skills. According to www.collegeboard.com, more than 2 million students take the SAT every year.

In comparing the two tests, the ACT has 5 components: English, Mathematics, Reading, Science, and an optional writing test. The SAT tests reasoning and verbal abilities and has only three components: critical reasoning, Mathematics, and a required writing test. Both of these tests have a time limit for them.

Scoring for these tests are also different. According to www.actstudent.org, the ACT is scored based on the number of correct answers with no guessing penalty. The SAT test will take off for any wrong answers for its test.

A couple of years ago, the ACT was required by colleges in the Midwest and the SAT was the choice test on the coasts. Now, many schools accept both for college admission. The cost for taking these tests are between $30-50. These tests are long and can be very expensive. If you take any college test, make sure you are ready to take it.

Lillie Zablocki, a junior at AHS, has recently taken the SAT. Most people don’t take this. She said that the tests are about the same, besides what is on the test.

Tests may be taken to prepare for the SAT/ACT. The PSAT is one of the tests that can be taken. It is offered to sophomores and juniors here at AHS in the fall for $14.

Other tests like the COMPASS test might be required for admission at a college. Iowa Western, located here in Atlantic and in surrounding areas, requires you to take a COMPASS test. The COMPASS test is a computerized test that is untimed. The scored for it, unlike the ACT or SAT, indicate what categories you are strong in and where you need help. The COMPASS test is required for any college-credit class taken at AHS.

If you are freshman or sophomore, start thinking of what you would like to do in the future. Taking tests to prepare for the ACT/SAT will help you to score better for college admission as a junior or senior. If you are an upperclassmen, you need to start planning on when you will take these tests. They could be a difference on which college you can get into.