The Flip Side To ISS

By Taylor Jones
Students think of ISS as a punishment. I have found it to be beneficial. It’s quiet and I was able to get work finished. I didn’t have to worry about getting done at the end of the period. Teachers were available, but only when you need the help. They aren’t standing over you, pressuring you. I was able to catch up in most of my classes and I got projects done that I hadn’t finished.
I should probably go back in there and finish all my projects!

I think offering a Study Day twice a semester would help more people graduate. They can salvage their grade. When they have a full day to study, get work done, and ask questions they
would pass their classes.

What if that was a possibility? What if kids could choose to spend a day catching up? I would like to see our school offer a Study Day at the end of each quarter before grades come out and before semester tests. Students who have no missing assignments would not come to school that day, but those of us who have late or missing work could catch up and bring up our quarter grades. If they chose to come, they can.

It seems that once you’re behind in a class, you just keep falling behind. It is hard to get caught up before the end of the quarter when you are so far behind in a class. Sometimes teachers keep pushing you to finish, and that makes it harder when you can’t work at your own pace.
A full day with no classes, a giant study hall day! Teachers could identify which students have missing work and give the list of missing work to the students. It would be like a study table, but all day.

You would think sitting in school all day and doing work with everyone quiet would be boring. Well when you actually have something to do, time goes by faster. You can work at your own pace without worrying about the period being over or teachers nagging you to get finished. ISS was quiet, which also helped me concentrate better. Also, ISS didn’t have teachers bugging me and if I had a question I could ask them.