BLT discusses book bags in classrooms

By Tye Nielsen, Travis Small and Keaton Wise

Recently the Building Leadership Team (BLT) has discussed the current bag issue at AHS.  The Building Leadership Team is a group of select teachers that consider problems in the building.  They [the BLT] have been debating on eliminating bags and purses in the classroom.

Would these bags fit in these lockers? No one knows…

The bag rule in AHS has been brought up many times at the BLT meetings.  The BLT decided to let the teachers decide via a survey.  The survey asked teachers what their opinions were, such as if they agreed with the policy, when they wanted it to take effect, and what their reasons were.

When asked why the BLT was discussing the bag issue, Mr. Bair said, “Theres a variety of reasons, for one there is a safety issue with guns and drugs; they are also a hazard for tripping in the classroom, some teachers avoid certain aisles because there are bags in the way. It’s not good on student’s backs, we also have lockers that the taxpayers paid for and that’s thousands of dollars of steel that isn’t being used.”  When asked why he thought the issue was brought up, Sophomore Joey Walker said, “Bombs…?”

When asked if it would change her daily routine, Bre Reason said, “Uh yea, because you just go from class to class and then you would have to stop at your locker in between and do all your other stuff.”

When questioned if she had issues in her class, Mrs. Hartwig, responded, “I trip over them every once in awhile, but no.”  In regards to his classroom, Bair said, “Nope not at all.  I don’t have any issues with bookbags, although I do move bookbags every now and then, but if I didn’t want book bags in my classroom I wouldn’t allow them.”

Junior Alexi Allen walks down the hallway with her 19.5 pound book bag. The Building Leadership Team has discussed prohibiting book bags in classrooms.

On Mon, Nov. 26 the BLT announced the results. 18 staff members agreed, 9 disagreed, and 12 were neutral.  At the beginning of next semester, the school administration will support any staff members who decide not to allow bags in their classroom.