Soccer season kicks off early

By Emily Mitchell

The soccer season has kicked off. Soccer open gyms have started for the AHS high school teams. Boys and girls both play on Sundays at 2:30 p.m. Players organize the practices, and Sr. Vargason is there to supervise. The kids usually split up into two teams and scrimmage each other.

The activity that take place is “scrimmage most of the time and do shooting drills. Just laid back stuff,” said Sr. Vargason. Junior Maren Mcnees said, “We scrimmage a lot and condition.”

“It will make them more confident with the game. It will sharpen their skills and it’s a good way to form a foundation between teammates for future competitions,” said former AHS player Dakota Watson, when asked about the benefits of coming to open gyms. Junior Sierra Smith said, “It will get them to touch the ball again.”

There isn’t a lot of high school players that show up to open gyms. Jez Phippen, AHS junior, said, “They are too busy with other activities.” Spanish teacher Sr. Vargason said the three main reasons he thinks people don’t come is because “Soccer isn’t too popular here at Atlantic, not a lot of people know about it, other activities.”

Keeper Maren McNees looks outwards from the goal. McNees is a junior this year.

Dakota Watson said, “Before I even started playing, I didn’t ever even think of playing a sport as silly as soccer, and it is now my greatest passion in life and I look forward to it every day.” He is now playing soccer at Simpson College in Indianola.

Everyone is welcome to open gyms. They take place Sundays at 2:30. If you are ever unsure about them, you can ask Sierra Smith, Maren McNees, or Brett Keegan. Remember to bring a water, your A game and a good attitude for a fun time of playing soccer.

The 2012 spring boys soccer squad included #23 Dakota Watson, #11 Nick Olsen, #12 Harrison Hoegh, #5 Matt Smith, and #44 Jordan Mauk. Here they line up to defend a direct kick at the goal. Watson was a senior from CAM last year. The rest will be returning this year.