AHS National Honor Society inducts 20 new members

By Savannah Whetstone

On Sunday, Nov. 11, the National Honor Society induction was held in the auditorium at Atlantic High School. Parents and members of NHS attended, with NHS sponsor Shiela Hayden hosting.

The new inductees are as follows: Jessica Askeland, Tyler Fischer, Lisa Gearheart, Preston Hoye, Hannah Jespersen, Kristin Johnk, Lauren Krogman, Jordan Mauk, Maren McNees, Meghan Plambeck, Wyatt Saeugling, Evan Schuler, Sierra Smith, Michael Thomsen, Leah Tjepkes, Valerie Watson, Bryson West, Savannah Whetstone, Adam Wieser and Lillie Zablocki. The existing members are: Jake Auerbach (Sergeant at Arms), Tiffany Brauckman, Scott Caslow (Treasurer), Shelby Cooper, Liz Guttenfelder, Cassandra Hallman (Secretary), Mackenzie Holmes, Matt Iekel, Abby Johnson (President), Breanna Kixmiller, Sam Markham, Kaley Miller, Emily Mitchell, Ben Nelson, Nick Olsen, Diana Perkins, Mikayla Somers, Caroline Trewet and Shelby Worth.

Hayden said the induction was short and that was a good thing. This year they had to work around the football banquet.  Traditionally, finger food and punch would have been served, but time was limited.  Cassie Hallman has advice for the new members. Hallman said, “Get involved and volunteer for things.” Hayden said, “I think they [the new members] will do wonderfully.  There are a lot of good students who are hard workers.  As always these students will get out of this organization what they put into it.” She thinks the new members will have a new sense of energy and fresh ideas. She said “We welcome change but we try not to make changes.”

The new members are looking forward to participating in the activities this year.  Jessica Askeland is looking forward to the blood drive, because “It’ll be a new experience.”  She thinks NHS will broaden her leadership skills as well. Askeland has helped her community with involvement in many youth activities. She thinks she has good leadership skills because she is a good organizer and is skilled at execution.

Former members have been grateful for their time in NHS.  For example, Hallman has enjoyed her past year of participating in activities. Hallman said, “It’s fun to do with your friends.” Hallman believes that her leadership skills have improved from participating in NHS. Hallman said, “I’m not as scared of talking to people now. I’ve gotten a lot more organized too.” Hallman thinks NHS will be beneficial in the future for her because it’ll give her skills that she can use in the future.