Freund named to State Student Council

By Kristin Johnk

An Atlantic Student Council leader has been named Vice-President Elect of the State Student Council.

On Oct. 29, 2012, the Iowa Student Leadership Conference was held at the Iowa Events Center in Des Moines. Sophomore Stephanie Freund interviewed for the President position on the state-level council. It was announced in the general session of the conference that she had been elected vice-president elect for the 2012-2013 school year.

Sophomore Stephanie Freund was elected vice-president elect for the 2012-2013 state council. She will be helping to plan next year’s state conference.

Only one student per school could apply for the state council. One requirement was that they had to be a sophomore. Ginger Bechtold, a librarian at the high school said, “Stephanie went through a tough interview process.  She had to answer some bizarre questions and was very professional with them.”

Freund said, “Ms. Bechtold told me about this position and helped me fill out the application. I thought that I could further my involvement in student council if I applied for a state office.”

Senior Danielle Lambert thought that it was “cool” that Freund was elected for the state council. Walk-on Emily Jacobsen hopes Freund “will bring ideas from state council back to share with our council in the future.”

Bechtold has been on the advisory board at the state level for 15 years. During these years, she has had only one other AHS student serve as a state officer.  Ally Garrett, a 2009 graduate,  was elected as president her sophomore year.

Ginger Becktold helps a student in the library. She told Stephanie Freund about the state council application.

The interview was not the only thing happening at the conference.  Brie Steffens said, “We attended classes on ideas for dress-up days and on how to engage students in more activities.”

Freund will be expected to attend four board meetings this year, and various leadership camps held in Chicago and Las Vegas.  She will also be helping to plan next year’s state conference and project.

Cathy Knuth, a student council advisor said,”Student council promotes school spirit, puts on dances, and runs dance week activities.  They also do community service projects.”

She says that students are welcome to join student council.  It meets every Tuesday morning at 7:30 a.m.  Talk to a member or either  Knuth or Principal McKay if you are interested in joining.

Link to Iowa Student Council Webpage