AHS vocal department prepares for Madrigal Dinner

By Mikayla Somers

Atlantic High School will host its second Madrigal Dinner on Dec. 1-2, and preparations are well underway. AHS students will be acting and performing in the commons area once it has been decorated to be a medieval castle. The commons area will seat around 170 people a night, more than could be seated last year. Students in FCS teacher Meryl Hopper-Henningsen’s Foods 2 class will prepare  the food to be served.

Senior Matt Iekel is a member of the royal court. Tickets for the dinner will be available to parents before the general public.

A few more parts have been added this year. Vocal music teacher Jennifer Gaesser said, “Most of the student acting parts for the dinner were selected by audition.” The part of King and Queen were selected from seniors in choir, based on the students’ involvement. The set is being built by AHS 2011 graduate Mark Jacobsen.

The role of a town crier will be played by junior Valerie Watson. Watson was a servant in last year’s madrigal production.

Hopper-Henningsen said the main course, and possibly sides and the dessert, will be changed from last year’s dinner. She and her students will start making foods a week before the dinner and then will come in on Saturday and Sunday to cook the meals. She will be helping with food during both dinners.

Senior Matt Iekel, who will be a member of the royal court, said the choir is making a few new costumes. He said his least favorite part of the process is “during the dinner there is just a lot of waiting between activities.”

Junior Valerie Watson said she was a “major history buff” and enjoys “being able to recreate something that happened a long time ago.” Watson helped fit seniors in court outfits, and will play the part one of two town-criers; the other town crier is Tyler Christensen. Sophomore Ben Parker will play Oliver the Actor, and said he is hoping to wear “tights with pantaloons, and a feather hat” as his costume.

Gaesser brings madrigal experience with her from Wayne State College in Nebraska. She said, “This is Atlantic’s second year of doing the Madrigal Dinner.  It’s a little difficult to compare it to a college-level dinner that has been happening for over 40 years.  Overall, I am very impressed with the level of musicianship here and know all those attending this event will have a great time.”