Letter to Editors: Principal grateful to First Church of Christ

The following is a letter to editors from Principal Heather McKay.

One of my favorite things about being a part of the Atlantic community is how others are willing to help those in need.  First Church of Christ, located at 1310 SW 7th St., provided a very large amount of assistance to two Atlantic High School programs, the Cass County Educational Opportunity Center and the 9-12 Link Center.

Principal Heather Mckay talks with Coach Duff during a staff meeting.

Just before the school year started the new building where these two programs were to be housed was declared not ready for students. Therefore, we needed to find other accommodations until their building was ready and passed all inspections.  Initially we tried using our Multi-purpose building for the CCEOC, however, it isn’t conducive to be a sustained learning environment.  Scrambling we began to brainstorm other areas that might be able to help. 

CCEOC teacher Justin Williams and I began making calls.   We contacted the First Church of Christ.  And they welcomed us with open arms. They allowed us to use their classrooms, their Internet connection, and their commons area to hold our classes.  The First Church of Christ didn’t want anything in return, an extremely generous gift.

They reminded me again of why Atlantic is a great place to live, people are willing to help others without receiving anything in return. The First Church of Christ ministers, Board, support staff will forever be in my heart for their willingness to do what they can for children of our community.  Again, a great reason to be a part of the Atlantic community!

With deepest gratitude,

Heather Joy McKay, principal