AHS wrestlers compete in pre-season Nationals

by: Kelsey Hamilton

Two junior wrestlers at Atlantic High School have been offered the opportunity to participate in preseason Nationals at UNI.  

Juniors Dillion Cox and Darrian Schwenke flank "Adam," the wrestling dummy, in the multipurpose room.

Juniors Darrian Schwenke and Dillion Cox will attend the competition during the first weekend of November. They were offered this opportunity by coach Tim Duff from Atlantic.

Schwenke said he is excited about the event because many colleges will be looking for a good wrestler. “If a good college recruits me, I’ll be able to get a scholarship and not have to worry about paying for college,” said Schwenke.

Cox said he is glad he gets to see this opportunity.  “I’m excited to face these challenges because there are top leveled wrestlers from out of state.” Cox said he is glad to represent AHS.
According to Schwenke over 1500 wrestlers will be there. He said he is nervous because wrestlers from the entire nation will be competing. He does not know anyone else going, besides Cox, and looks forward to focusing on just his wrestling.
Coach Duff said he is glad to see them going because it will be a great opportunity, and there will be about 23 states represented. He said it is great pre-season work and that hopefully they can get a couple wins.