Choice Printing

Pink hair ‘cuz we care

By Hannah Jespersen
The color pink is showing up in the hair of students and faculty all over AHS this week.
Multiple salons in Atlantic are participating in the “Pink Hair ‘Cuz We Care” or “Pink Hair Because We Care” fundraiser.
Throughout the month of October, anyone who is interested can “donate” $30 (depending on the salon’s pricing) to the Susan G. Komen Foundation in order to get a strip of his or her hair dyed hot pink. Many beauty salons in Atlantic are participating, including Effects and Unique salons. Half of the proceeds are donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Quite a few students have gotten in on the act so far; Valerie Watson, Maren McNees, Lillie Zablocki, and Hannah Jespersen can all be seen with pink peeking through their natural hair colors. McNees said, “I support the cause. I was a little bit nervous because it was the first time I’d ever done anything to my hair.”

Watson approved of faculty participating and said, “It’s great that teachers and students are choosing to support such a worthy cause, and that it’s caught on so quickly.”

Principal Heather McKay also surprised students with a strip of pink. She participated because “It allows for an outward representation of what people support.” She proceeded to add, “My mom is a two-time cancer survivor, and one of them was breast.”

McNees and McKay both heard about the fundraiser by reading the Atlantic News Telegraph, and Effects stylist Lydia Richter posted information on Facebook.

If anyone is interested in participating in “Pink Hair Because We Care,” Effects Salon is offering the $30 pink hair deal throughout the month of October.

Junior Shelby Mckinley is showing her care--with pink in her hair!