Fall Activities participate in “Walk to School”

By Emily Mitchell

You see them on the court, around the halls, and in the crowds, cheering on the fall teams this season; however, the Atlantic volleyball girls have shown up in a new place. Twenty-one members of the team helped out the community and showed off their leadership skills last week by participating in the “Walk to School” program. This week the cross country team and football team will be participating.

The program participants walk from one of four locations with a partner and with anywhere from 3-15 elementary students. The four locations are the Community Center, Pellett Park, 14th and Redwood, and Sycamore Village.

At 7 a.m. the Trojans report to the YMCA to pick up two backpacks and two bright green vests for safety. Once arriving on site around 7:15, they wait for the kids, check them off, and start their walk to Washington and Schuler by 7:30. Once there, the kids are rewarded with little colored or glow-in-the-dark feet charms to put on a little chain.

Senior volleyball team captain Abby Johnson said, “ I enjoyed this activity because I got the opportunity to interact with some younger kids.” She recommends to anyone who participates in this program to “wear warm clothes.”

Junior Bailey Walter said, “I love it because it gives me and others the chance to bond with the kids and make sure they get to school.” also, “I would do it everyday!” She recommends walkers “bring cookies or something nice for the kids.”

Josie Anzalone, a junior, said, “I like it because it gave me a chance to get to know the kids I didn’t know and have fun with them.” Anzalone’s advice is “be a kid-person because they’ll talk to you until you tell them to go into the building.”

Junior Josie Anzalone participated in the "Walk to School" event.