INTERLUDE rocks AHS

By Jon Quezada

The students at AHS were given a boost of school spirit this week as Spanish teacher Dan Vargason introduced the UNI student dance “Interlude” to classrooms, P.E. classes, and study halls.

The group dance incorporates six dance moves in a high-energy blast of fun. The “teaching” video is available on YouTube here.

English teacher Liz Huggins taught it to all of her classes on Friday. “In addition to being exhausting, it was wonderful to see so many kids connecting and enjoying the experience of being together.”

Teacher Dan Vargason taught “Interlude” to hundreds of students on Thursday and Friday.

Senior Shelby Tichota learned the dance during Miss Humpfer’s first-period math class. She said most of the kids didn’t want to learn it, but by fifth-period, Interlude fever had infected the school.

Junior Tori Gibson leaned the dance during Spanish 1. “It’s a workout,” she said. “I think it will be a lot of fun, as long as everyone does it.”

It gives us a lot of school spirt because efore this we didn’t have any, and it gives us lot now.”

Vargason explained how he learned the dance at UNI. “Our RAs [Residence Assistants] came up with it because our student section wasn’t very good. To get people excited. It’s all over Youtube; it’s all over the world. The troops are doing it.”

Freshman Emily McDermott said she practiced the dance in choir, English, and at home yesterday. “I taught my mom and my brother.”

Junior Joey Nielsen says “I think it’s friggin awesome.”

Sophomore Kody Harris thinks it’s “Pretty Neat.”

Chase Jones said, “It’s kind of silly; it lacks talent.  Someone’s gonna get punched.”

Vargason said he thinks  “It’s gonna be petty intense.  Be weird and crazy.”

Click here to watch Friday’s third period gym class practice the Interlude.