Vocalists steel their nerves for All-State auditions

By Josh Schorle

All-State auditions are less than four weeks away, and the pressure to do well is stressful. Twenty-three Atlantic High School singers will try out for the state’s select chorus on Saturday, Oct. 20. Last year three students were chosen for the All-State chorus and one was selected for band.

“I can see improvement every week,” said chorus director Jennifer Gaesser. This is Gaesser’s first year teaching at the high school level. “My goal for the district…is to just become better musicians than we were before we began the process,” said Gaesser.

Freshman Andrew Rosthfusz, junior Morgan Munsey, sophomore Justin Somers and seniors Eric Renner and Jake Auerbach practice for All-State auditions with new vocal music teacher Jennifer Gaesser at the piano.

According to Gaesser, schools can send up to 28 students to auditions. The students prepare four to seven selections to be sung in small groups.  The music is sung a cappella (without accompaniment).  Judges evaluate the performers on intonation, tone quality, rhythm, and musicianship.

Across the state, 600 students will be selected for the choir, which will perform in Ames on Nov. 17.

Junior Breanna Kixmiller said she is most nervous about messing up.  She is challenged by the different parts of “Ave Maria.” Freshman Sidney Gifford said she enjoys All-State auditions because I “[get] to know new people.” Freshman William Weppler also said he enjoys the process because he is with his friends and practicing music.

Senior Kallee Mudd said, “[The All-State process] is a little hectic, but it’ll be okay later.”

Atlantic students will audition at the Harlan site this year.