Trojans host the Cardinals Friday in season opener

By Blake Meneely

The Atlantic Trojan football team will come into the new season with a clean start, coming off the loss in the first round of the 2011 playoffs against Boyden-Hull Rock Valley. Trojans completed their season with a 4-6 record, and 4-3 in district play.

The Atlantic Trojans will be hosting a non-district match-up against the Clarinda Cardinals at the Trojan Bowl on Aug. 24.  With freshmen playing first at 5 p.m. and then the varsity team playing under the lights in front of all their fans at 7:30 p.m.  The fans will get to see Nick Ross coach his first game as the head football coach.  The last time the Trojans played the Cardinals was 2009 in Coach Schelling’s last season. The Trojans won the game 33-0.

Coach Woods is one of the new faces on the coaching staff, coaching the wide receiver and defensive backs.  Woods said he is excited to coach for the Trojans because he gets to coach some really good players and kids. “I am excited to see how they play Friday.”  Also, “ Atlantic will be able to win the game against the Cardinals, if they set their minds to it.”  Woods said he is happy that he stepped into such a good position as the receiver and defensive back coach. He also added the spot he is coaching has some good players that know what they’re doing, which makes his job coaching a whole lot easier.