The Lost Smile

By Macie Mahan

The 300 hallway will be missing a smile next year. Resource teacher Tarah Anderson has accepted a teaching transfer to Washington Elementary School where she will be teaching K-1 special education.

Anderson said she is hoping to make an impact on the younger students so they won’t struggle through there entire schooling.

Anderson has always wanted to be an Elementary teacher but when she graduated from college, the only special education opening in Atlantic was for a high school resource position.

“My students had nothing to do with my decision to leave. I have enjoyed working with each and every one of them.  I will miss them a lot,” said Anderson.  “There are only so many chances to teach in a special education class at the elementary level and I didn’t want to miss out on my ideal job!” Anderson laughed as she said “plus, in the elementary school I won’t be one of the shortest anymore!”

Anderson’s students and colleagues are sad that she is going to be leaving them next year. Junior Megan Pross said it will feel strange walking into Anderson’s room and seeing someone else sitting in her chair. ”I will feel really upset and the person taking her place needs to be just like her.”

Principal Heather McKay commented on how she felt knowing several of her staff members will be leaving next year. “ I am happy for them and sad for me.”

Sophomore Tyler Ross was asked if he was going to be sad when Anderson leaves. “DEFINITELY. She shouldn’t leave us, and I want her to come see me for my first prom.”

Everyone, both students and staff, will o miss the smile of Mrs. Tarah Anderson.