Poems are a beautiful thing

By Mitch Leiferman

April is National Poetry Month. According to the Academy of American Poets’ website, National Poetry Month was inspired to be successful by Black History Month, in February, and Women’s History Month, in March.

The first National Poetry month was held in 1996. Like Women’s History Month, poetry month has begun to establish itself as publishers and booksellers use this month to promote poetry.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - National Poetry Month celebrates it's 16th birthday.

Students around the school offered their opinions of poetry. Senior Austen Farver said he likes poetry.  “Sometimes in my free time I look them up.”

April 26 was “Poem in your Pocket” day. English teacher Allison Berryhill held poems in her pocket and handed them out to students as the day went on. Stuart Hoegh, Berryhill’s son, said, “Poems aren’t bad. My mom knows a lot of good ones so I don’t mind them.” Elizabeth Huggins, the freshman English teacher, said students sometimes have difficulty with poetry. “Poetry is hard.  [It is where] intellect and emotion meet, and it is hard to teach emotion. Most students are not mature enough to look at both sides of the coin.”

Huggins knew about “Poem in Your Pocket” day. Although she didn’t have pockets, she shared the most powerful poem she has read, called “Purpose of Poetry” by Jared Carter.

Huggins also added that she likes poetry because “there is no right or wrong.” Readers “can take it anywhere.”

The ultimate goal is for students to like poetry. The understanding of poetry can be hard, but students are learning to break down poems piece by piece.

POETRY IN MOTION - Senior Austen Farver reads the poem "Ed," by Louis Simpson. Farver said the poem reminded him of "Live Your Life" by Rihanna, featuring T.I.