Lifetime Fitness comes to life

By Shelby Tichota

Lifetime Fitness was a new class added to physical education choices this year. The class was added because it is less competitive and more relaxed than a regular P.E. class, according to Casey Pelzer, one of the teachers of the class.

One unit of study in Lifetime Fitness is CPR. The students each have to watch a video clip, then perform on the procedure on a dummy. Students could get certified for five dollars. Roughly 70-80 kids were certified, but the certificates have not come in yet, according to Pelzer.

Pelzer said he would like to see Lifetime Fitness classes offer more activities for the students to do. The only hard part about finding the activities is fitting them it into our schedule, he said.  Sophomore Ben Mahoney said he would like to see fishing and hockey added.

When asked if gym or weights should be required from each student every year, sophomore Hailey Waters replied, “It depends on if they’re in a sport or not.”  Pelzer said the same thing about the requirement.

A change in the physical education classes this year is that every Wednesday students run the mile. Pelzer said that running this mile has been a complete success, and we will definitely continue to do it next year. Freshman Mollee Welter shared an opposing opinion: “I think its stupid and pointless. I get enough exercise from sports.”

Besides teaching Lifetime Fitness and physical education, Pelzer teaches Health 1 and Health 2. Pelzer has been teaching for five years now. Though there are many rewards to his job, what Pelzer loves most is “getting to see all of the smiling students’ faces.”