Huey retires

By Ryan Beymer

Dan Huey will be retiring at the end of this school year.  Huey has taught at Atlantic High School for 34 years and been a teacher for 39 years total.  He has worked in the science department and recently has been teaching both biology and anatomy. Huey says that he plans to work when he is done teaching in May.

Retirement-Dan Huey retires this year. Huey worked at AHS for 34 years.

Huey says that he’ll miss talking with other teachers, but is ready to leave AHS.  “I’m just ready to leave and go do other things,” he said.  The thing he liked the most through his years of teaching was dissections.  Senior Drew Cable said, “I’ll miss Mr. Huey’s sense of humor.”

Huey will be replaced by Bryan Woods, who was interviewed and hired earlier this year.  Woods is graduating this year from Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa.  Woods will start at the beginning of the next school year.  Junior Jordan Mauk, who is taking anatomy next year said, “I liked Mr. Huey, and I’m not looking forward to the replacement.”

Junior Scott Caslow, on the other hand, thought that a change will be good in the science department.  The new teacher will be starting from scratch and creating new lessons and a course schedule.

Scientific Method-Sophomores Hailey Waters and Kelsey Hamilton tackle homework in Biology. Retiring teacher Dan Huey has been at AHS longer than any other teacher.