Teacher’s Perspective on the Lunch Line

By Josh Schorle
    We all know students try to cleverly cut in line to get their food faster. All while trying to avoid being seen by I.S.S. teacher Jeremy Blake or by some other watchful teacher. But what exactly are the teachers thinking while all of this is going on.

Most teachers can agree that they see this act of line jumping “all the time, every day.” You’d think this would make it a big issue at lunch. Blake said, “It can be but it’s not that much of a problem yet.” Paraeducator Gina Honke had similar thoughts, I “don’t perceive it as a problem. It’s just disrespectful to other students.”

Solving the issue can be just as hard as trying to keep a watchful eye on clever-cutting students. Paraeducator Tina Franken suggests “Dismissing by class maybe, which is hard [because] seniors think they have seniority over others. People think that seniority should rule no matter what.” Blake said the situation would improve if there were “ways to make it more of a line instead of a big blob.”

Honke explained that the lunch room is “kind of a place for kids to unwind and have fun. I choose to let the student body govern themselves at that point. If a student has a problem with another student, then I’ll just send them to the back of line. You can’t catch them all.”