OPINION – AHS should open prom to out-of-town guests

OPINION – by Alaura Schuler

Prom is a place where girls wear fancy dresses of their choice and guys rent tuxes to match their dates’ dress. Prom is also a time for students to get together and just hang out and have a blast while boogieing on the dance floor. However, some AHS upperclassmen are in a relationship with underclassmen or out-of-town teens. Many schools around AHS have open-proms, so that all people are welcome to come to the Saturday night shindig. Why can’t Atlantic be the same way?

There are two sides to this story that can cause some arguments. I think our school should allow out-of-town dates to come to prom because some students at AHS do have close friends outside the school district. Junior Sarah Park says, “Even though I’m not going to prom, people out of town should be able to go. Other schools for prom let their students have out of town dates, so why can’t our prom be open to them as well?”

Prom is the social event of the season and students want to see their out-of-town boyfriend or girlfriends. I have a boyfriend who lives in Elk Horn and I would love to bring him to this year’s prom but can’t because it is not open. On the flip side, some people like the prom limited to AHS students only. From what I have witnessed, it is mostly seniors who want a closed a prom, while juniors at AHS want to have the chance to bring underclassmen and out-of-town dates. Some say prom is the seniors’ last dance before graduating and starting their future. This is true, but all seniors want to enjoy this final dance–even the ones with out-of-town dates.

Another concern about open prom is voiced by Amber Bishop, an AHS senior: “A closed prom is better because you won’t have the problem of drama. The annoyingness of people coming from out of town can disrupt your dance.” Junior Kaley Miller agrees, “Guys like to fight so bringing them from out of town might cause trouble.”

I believe the school already has policy in place for any disruptions at dances. The chaperones should ask disruptive kids to leave–whether they’re from out-of-town or Atlantic. Those of us who want an open prom are not asking to bring thugs or trouble-makers. We expect our dates to behave and respect the departing seniors. AHS should allow students to bring out-of-town dates to prom. We should accept the opportunity to allow all students to fully enjoy their prom experience.

Junior Alaura Schuler thinks prom should be open to out of town dates. What do you think? Comment below.