Introducing School Resource Officer Corey Larsen

By Tori Dolch

You’ve seen him in the halls dressed in a brown uniform with a gun on his hip. Deputy Corey Larsen is Cass County’s School Resource Officer (SRO).
Larsen graduated from Anita in 1992. He then was in the Air Force for five years. He has worked in Fontenelle, Green Field, and Audubon County, and has been in Atlantic for three years now.
Larsen said he chose his career because law enforcement runs in the family. He said that in sixth grade when he rode around in a police car with the Atlantic Police Officers, feeding his interest in the field.
Many students don’t know what Larsen’s job is outside of school. When asked, freshman Rachelle Wagoner said, “I have no idea.” Junior Liz Guttenfelder thinks, “To make sure nothing bad happens.”
Larsen’s job as a deputy for the county requires him to serve civil papers (i.e. divorce), warrants for arrest and animal neglect. He also transports mental patients and inmates from place to place. He handles firearm permits, sheriff’s sales, and provides services for Atlantic and Cass County. Larsen said one-fourth of his time as a deputy is devoted to school resource activity for the county.
Some of the biggest crime issues involving high school students, according to Larsen, are harrasment and bullying. He said majors parts of his work with schools are trying to deter fights, and tobacco and drug enforcement.
Larsen also mentioned that he faces a hard time working at the high school when trying to talk to kids face to face and dealing with the “cop” stereotypes. However, he says he enjoys helping people, having conversations, and seeing what goes on in the world.
Larsen said he hopes if anyone at any time has a problem and they need help, they can feel as though they can go to him for help.
Officer Corey Larsen talks with journalism students. Including Ryan Beamer, Kody Kirchhoff, and Austen Farver.