OPINION: What a freshman girl should know

by Kassidy Edwards
    Entering high school as a freshman girl, you come equipped with new notebooks, folders, and expectations. You expect that you’ll be able to run the school. After all, you are the new kid in town. But if I could talk to the eighth-graders getting ready to be let out for the summer, I would give them a few handy pointers. First, I would tell them to make sure their shoes are tied, and that their skirt line reaches their fingertips. Nothing is more embarrassing than tripping over loose shoe strings as soon as you walk in the door. Teachers in the high school have been strict lately over the dress code, so unless you want to go home and change, keep the skirts long and the shoulders covered.Second, a little respect for the upperclassmen never hurts. Cutting in the lunch line, bragging about your smarts, and taking the back seats of the bus are all behaviors that will land you on the seniors’ watch list. Now, I’m not saying that the seniors will beat you up or torment you, but they will let you know where they stand.  If you want to get along with upperclassmen, think ahead to how you’ll want freshmen to treat you some day.

Third, it’s not against the rules to flush the toilets when you’re done doing your business. Seriously, I don’t want to see what you had going on inside your body. Please, no one will be mad at you for flushing the toilet, so flush away!

Finally, step it up. Acting like a total ditz is not going to get you the attention you want. As much as you think it does, acts of ditziness do not make you look cute. For example, baby talk, hair flips, idiotically flirting with senior boys, and blank stares when people give you compliments are all unnecessary acts of ditziness. Also, we all know that you are smarter than you let on. Nothing makes this upperclassman angrier than seeing freshmen waste their potential.

View Comments (1)