Community members review resumes

By: Josh Schorle
First impressions matter.  Students in Matt Smith’s English 2 classes are learning that an employer’s first opinion is based on the resume. Atlantic businesspeople visited AHS on Friday, Feb. 3, to help Smith’s students edit their resumes.

One of the guests said resumes are very important. “If I don’t like your resume, I’ll probably throw it in the trash. You can tell a lot about a person from their resume.”

How you appear to the employer in an interview is just as important as the resume. One of the other businesspeople said, “The first five minutes is when you make the decision if you want that person or not.” However, “If the resume isn’t good, you probably won’t even get to the interview.”

One of the workers also said, “See it as you have one chance to introduce yourself to someone you have never met.”

The community guests included Kate Olsen, Brad Henningsen, Josh Moore, Randy Watts, Lynn Maschino, & Susan Oliver.

Sophomore Brandy Smith said, “It was good to have [my resume] reviewed.  Marshall McDermott, also a sophomore, said, it was “fun knowing how I did.”

The students weren’t the only ones being put to the test.  The business people were too. One worker mentioned, “It was sometimes challenging to phrase things in a way that was most beneficial for [the students].”