Trojans pull out three-point win over Monarchs

by Anthony Robinson

The Trojans led by as many 10 in the first half, but never built a comfortable lead in the second half of Tuesday’s game. Atlantic had to claw for every point in the hard-fought 61-58 win.

According to coach Steve Blazek Atlantic shot poorly from the field, but made up the difference at the free throw line.

The Trojans made 22 of 29 shots from the free throw line, while the Monarchs made only 10 of 16.

Dalton Franken led the Trojans with 18 points. Franken went 9-11 at the free throw line.

Atlantic led by 10, 22-12 midway through second quarter, but Denison ended the half on a 10-3 run to cut the Trojans’ lead to three points at the halftime break.

Senior guard Austin Eller hit a jumper to open the third quarter and cut the lead to a single point.

Eller finished the night with 19 points to lead the Monarchs. The sharp-shooting senior scored 14 in the second half.

After two missed free throws by senior Gunnar Blum, junior Derek Hall made a runner in the lane to give the Monarchs their first lead since an early 5-3 advantage in the first quarter.

On their next possession, the Trojans regained the lead on a put-back from Franken.

Tuesday’s game featured eight lead changes and four ties.

After the Trojans took a 40-38 lead, both Eller and Hall hit tw0-pointers to give the Monarchs a two-point lead, 42-40 at the end of the third quarter.

Senior Gunner Blum came up big in the fourth quarter scoring seven of his 16 points in the final eight minutes.

Atlantic led by as many as seven, 56-49 before Denison went on a 9-1 run, capped by a huge three-pointer by Eller to take a 58-57 lead.

Junior Sam Markham made one of two free throws to tie the game at 58 with 1:28 left.

Denison gained possession of the ball with just under a minute left but the Trojans defense stood strong.

The Monarchs were unable to score and were forced into fouling Blum with 21 seconds remaining.

Blum hit both of his two free throws to give Atlantic a 60-58 lead.

On Denison’s next possession, junior Chad Christensen forced a jump ball, giving the ball back to the Trojans with 9.1 seconds on the clock.

Franken went to the line to close out the game, but the junior was only able to hit the second of two. Atlantic led by only one possession.

On Denison’s last possession Hall had two attempts from beyond the arc, but was unable to hit either.