ACSD creates new website

By Ali Krogman
A new website for the Atlantic Community School District was unveiled on Jan. 23 by school  technology officials.
Jessica Fincel, ACSD Technology Resource Integrationist, gave a presentation to the high school staff on Jan. 25, introducing www.atlanticiaschools.org.

The site was set up by a management system called Joomla, and a company in Carroll operates the software.  The initial cost of the website was approximately $3,500, but according to Roger Warne, ACSD Technology Coordinator, the cost will end up reaching $4,000.

There will be a yearly maintenance fee, as the company is the one hosting the website, but the hosting cost is currently unknown.  Warne says the site is a big improvement, as it can now be easily accessed on Firefox, Safari, and mobile devices.

The website is still a work in progress, but it seems to be a cleaner and more organized site.  When asked if there had been any feedback about the site, Fincel noted that the majority of the teaching staff throughout the district has been positive about the transition, but added that, “change is hard for everyone.”

However, it seems most AHS students haven’t been on the new site yet.  Those who have maneuvered through it say it is a good change.  Marissa Berns, senior, commented that it is more “user friendly.” Ian McNees, also a senior, said math teacher Shiela Hayden showed him the website and he thought it looked cool.

Fincel also announced that Atlantic will become a Google App school by next year.  This means that every high school student will be given a Gmail with a reference to Atlantic Schools, connecting students and teachers in an easier way.  Teachers will be able to communicate with students by sharing documents, calendars, and ideas through Gmail.  It is not clear if or when Atlantic Middle School students will receive Gmail accounts.