Trojans streak ends at 10

by Anthony Robinson

For the second time after the Christmas break, the Lewis Central Titans found a way to beat the Trojans. The black-and-gold never had the lead in the final five minutes and the Titans made eight of 12 free throws in the overtime period to beat the Trojans 59-58.

The loss ends the Trojans’ 10-game winning streak.

Atlantic is 10-2 since the Christmas break.

Lewis Central led 47-45 after a three-point play by Alex Reed with 58.8 seconds to go in regulation.

The Trojans had an opportunity on their next possession to tie the game but the Trojans were unable to put the ball through the bucket.

On Lewis Central’s next trip, senior Matt Andersen went to the line to extend their lead, but Andersen missed the front-end of the one-and-one opportunity.

Atlantic had yet another chance to tie the game, but the Trojans turned the ball over in the front-court on their next possession.

With 30.9 seconds left Josiah Shepherd went to line, but came up short on his first attempt giving Atlantic life.

On the offensive end, junior Sam Markham went around a Dalton Franken screen and found senior Gunnar Blum for an easy lay-up to tie the game at 47.

Alex Reed had a chance to be a hero at the end, but his shot rattled around the rim and fell harmlessly to the hardwood, keeping the game deadlocked with zeros on the game clock.

After Darius McCarther and Dalton Franken traded free throws on either end of the court to open the extra period, LaMar Conner made a lay-up  and Shepherd made a pair of free throws to build a four-point cushion with 2:50 to go in overtime.

Gunner Blum made lay-up to cut the lead down to two and the Trojans got a stop on the Titans’ end of the court, but Blum traveled on Atlantic’s next possession.

On the Titans’ next trip, Reed made a lay-up and hit one-of-two at the stripe to extend the lead to five, 56-51.

Atlantic got back within three but was unable to pull any closer until Franken’s three-pointer at the buzzer pulled the final deficit to a single point.

Lewis Central went 3-6 at the line in the final 33 seconds to seal the deal.

The first quarter of Friday’s game was full of runs. After Sheperd hit a three-pointer to take a quick 3-0 lead, the Trojans went on an 8-0 run to take a five-point lead, but the Titans’ responded by tying the game at 10 and taking a 14-12 lead into the second quarter.

Atlantic took a quick lead in the second quarter after a three-point basket by Chad Christensen, but Shepherd hit a three for Lewis Central to take the lead right back.

There were nine lead changes and one tie in the second quarter.

Senior Blake Esbeck’s three-pointer put the Trojans up 27-25.

Atlantic led 33-26 at the half.

The Trojans led the entire third quarter; leading by as many as eight.

The black-and-gold fall to 15-3 on the season and 9-2 in conference.

For complete stats CLICK HERE.