Students think before they ink

By Samantha Opbroek

Tattoos often memoralize special events or milestones in people’s lives.  The eighteenth birthday marks the point at which parent approval is no longer needed for a tattoo. Some students at AHS get their first tattoos on this special day to mark their rise to adulthood.  However, there might be different, more sentimental reasons behind tattoos.

Senior April Ussery, 17, wanted a tattoo for about a year before getting a frog inked on her lower leg.  She had the tattoo done at New Creations in Omaha.  “My best friend and I got matching tattoos for her daughter and my goddaughter,” she said.

Not all tattoos mean something, though. Senior Alex Hartwig got a tattoo in the summer of 2010 during a trip to Belize, where being 18 years of age is not required. The tattoo is on her right hip, and she made her decision only one day before she got it. Asked if there was significance to her tattoo, Hartwig said, ”I guess there really isn’t (any). It was just kind of a spur of the moment thing.”

Some students decide on their tattoos before the age of 18, and keep their ideas before they get them. Junior Dakota Erickson decided a year and a half ago to get a tattoo down the back of his arm when he turns 18.  It’s going to say Toad, which is his nickname.

Some people decide to get tattoos even before they are 18, and they have their parents sign for permission. Junior Alaura Schuler decided to get a tattoo on her lower back when she was 15. “It’s my name in Chinese.”

Tattoos are permanent and cannot be removed without a lot of money involved. Make sure the tattoo you get is what you want.