Tigers out-duel Trojanns

By Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojann volleyball team played their final game of the 2010 season Thursday, Oct. 28.  The Trojanns were defeated three games to one (25-14, 18-25, 22-25, and 19-25) by the Red Oak Tigers in the semifinal round of Region 2 postseason play.

In the first game the Trojanns started off right where they ended Monday night against Harlan.  The Trojanns jumped out to a three to nothing lead.  After the Tigers caught up to the Trojanns (5-5), Atlantic was able to score eight out of the next nine points to jump out to a commanding 13-6 lead.  The Trojanns led by as many as 11 (22-11) on their way to a 25-14 win.

In game two the girls got out to another quick start taking a three to one lead after two kills by senior Kari Sandage.  Red Oak was able to turn the tables and gain momentum by taking an eight to four lead forcing Coach Fredin to call a timeout.  The Trojanns were able to catch the Tigers and tie the game at nine.  After the tie, the Tigers darted out on a ten to four run, to take the lead 19-13.  The Trojanns tried to get back into the game, but were stopped short 25-18.

In game three, the Trojanns were not willing to let the Tigers run away with the match.   The girls were able to take an early six to one lead. After a tie at 12, neither team had a lead larger than three.  Red Oak was able to escape game three with a 25-22 win.

In game four, the Trojanns and Tigers battled to a 7-7 tie before Red Oak ran away with the game.  The Tigers outscored AHS 12-3 over the next 15 points to take a large 19-10 lead.   The Trojanns slowly got back into the game, scoring the next eight out of nine points, before Red Oak ended the game on a five to one run to win game four 25-19, ending the Trojanns’ season.

Senior Liz Metheny said “We played hard all the way through. It wasn’t our best night but everyone stayed together.”  Metheny also reflected on her experiences in an  Atlantic Trojanns volleyball uniform, “We (the team) have made a lot of memories playing together and I wouldn’t change a thing.”

The Trojanns finished the season with an overall record of 20 wins and 11 losses.