AHS Wrestlers Ranked for Pre-Season

By Paul Honke

Jim Thompson has ranked seven wrestlers from the same school for pre-season wrestling.

Atlantic High School wrestling season has begun and the pre-season rankings are already in. So far only seven wrestlers from AHS have been ranked. The wrestlers are Darrian Schwenke, Rob Young, Rob Nichols, Derek Stork, Matt Williamson, Tyler Doll, and Austin Conrad.

Each athlete wrestles in his own weight category. Schwenke in the 106 pound class, Young in the 132 pound class, Nichols in the 145 pound class, Stork in the 160 pound class, Williamson in the 170 pound class, Doll in the 195 pound class, and Conrad in the 285 pound class.

“It is an honor and gives me confidence but I know that rankings don’t mean anything. I dwelt on them to much last year and it kept me off the medal stand.” Said senior Rob Nichols.

“Being ranked gives me more confidence and gives me something to work harder for,” says sophomore Darrian Schwenke. “You can’t just be ranked without hard work and dedication, Rankings aren’t completely true but can really motivate.”

“It gives me something to aim for,” said senior Derek Stork. “It feels nice knowing someone has noticed my hard work. They make me want to work till I’m number one.”

“Being ranked is an honor, but I’ve got goals I’m looking forward to accomplishing, so ranking is no that important right now.” Said senior Austin Conrad.