Sleeping in School

By Paul Honke

It’s time to wake up after a good night’s sleep. However, some people need to be woken up a little bit later—during class.

Students sleeping during school is not an uncommon sight. But one has to wonder, why are the kids sleeping during school? Usually the answer is that students are staying up too late. The reason some students stay up too late is technology. Playing a game station, participating in social media, and watching TV are reasons for students staying up too late.

According to the school nurse Kristi Simpson, a regular student needs seven to eight hours of sleep for the brain to prepare for the next day.

According to DreamTap, when students are deprived of sleep they usually perform poorly at school, unable to think as clear, can have poor motor skills, have weak immune systems, and are noticeably grumpy.

Though staying up late is not the only reason why students sleep at school.

“I sleep in a class if the subject is not interesting,” said senior Delson Arnold. “I won’t sleep in a class if the subject is interesting.”

Does this mean students sleeping in class will reduce if teachers make the class more interesting?

When a student sleeps in school the teacher is expected to respond to the sleeping student.

“When I see a student sleeping I try to wake them up. Then I take away points for not paying attention,” said Terry Hinzman.

“I will wake them up, but if it’s free reading time I let them sleep and just take away points,” said Terrance Shuman.